Ugh. It’s been over 100 degrees the last few days, the power went out last night (killing all A/C, fans, etc.) in the middle of the women’s gymnastics trials, and there are so many outages that it may take a fucking week to be fixed. Basically life is kind of miserable right now.
good riddance by green day will never not make me cry.
Here’s my final prediction for the olympic team
Jordyn Wieber (UB, BB, FX)(AA during Qual)
Aly Raisman (BB, FX)(AA during Qual)
Kyla Ross (VT, UB)(FX during Qual)
ASac (VT, BB)
Gabby Douglas (VT, UB, FX)(AA during qual)
THIS IS THE TEAM I WANT
So excited the Top 20 have finally been picked!
- Alexa (contemporary): Not sure why she insists on looking like she belongs in the 80s whenever she’s not in costume, but I like her. I hope she stays “not dead in the eyes” and I think she’ll go far.
- George (contemporary): OMG, is he little-boy cute, or what?
- Will (contemporary): I’ve never seen him before last night, but I liked his personality and can’t yet decide on the dancing.
- Amber (contemporary): Another one we’ve barely, if ever, seen before last night. I hate the blonde hair, but otherwise I kind of love her - whenever she was on stage I definitely noticed her, and that’s saying something when you are with 8 other girls, or 18 other dancers.
- Nick (ballroom): Yet another one I don’t remember seeing before last night. And I do not like him. Boring, technically proficient but not amazing, etc. I have a feeling he’ll be cut quickly.
- Witney (ballroom): Love her. Usually, not my kind of contestant (too young, too blonde), but I love her. Also, I’ve thought since day 1 that she’s a better ballroom dancer than Lindsay, and last night dancing side-by-side, I don’t think it could have been more clear.
- Lindsay (ballroom): I don’t like her at all, but only because I don’t see why the judges, especially Mary, are so gaga over her dancing. I don’t think she’s an objectionable person. She just doesn’t look like a great ballroom dancer to me. I mean, I only know ballroom from what I’ve seen on TV/movies, but she doesn’t dance like any other previous ballroom dancers on SYTYCD. So either they all sucked or she sucks, and I don’t think Anya and Lacey sucked.
- Eliana (ballet): Based solely on dancing, she is by far my favorite. Just supremely talented and amazing to watch.
- Daniel (ballet): He’s professional and experienced, and that certainly stood out in the group number with Chehon. But I don’t like him as a dancer, and I kind of can’t believe he dances with the San Francisco Ballet (one of the top few dance companies in the US). He’s not dynamic, his extension isn’t that great, and he doesn’t have that intangible quality that just draws you in. He’s boring.
- Chehon (ballet): He’s way more dynamic than Daniel in some of his power moves, but I don’t like him either. It’s like Daniel and Chehon need what each other has - Chehon needs Daniel’s experience and steadiness, and Daniel needs some of Chehon’s power and pizzazz.
- Tiffany (jazz): Um, haven’t seen her before tonight, and I don’t think she was as good as Audrey.
- Audrey (jazz): She stood out next to Tiffany, but I’m wondering if she’ll stand out in the competition.
- Janelle (belly dance): Hasn’t been one of my favorites, but I’ve gone from really disliking her to being neutral.
- Matthew (contemporary): He doesn’t look like The Gos. What an insult to Ryan Gosling (and I have no particular affinity for Gosling). I don’t remember his dancing.
- Dareian (contemporary): He does have terrible feet, which I found distracting, but he also has great stage presence.
- Janaya (contemporary): I don’t remember what she look liked, let alone how she danced.
- Amelia (contemporary): HATE. So fucking much. I detest her “Artist” shtick, and I find her personality abhorrent. She’s talented, but in a sea of contemporary dancers, couldn’t they have found someone whose ego is not already so out of control that she SNEERS at Nigel when he criticizes her dancing?
- Cole (martial arts): Love him. Have since day 1, and it looks like he’s decent with choreography. I have high hopes for him.
- Brandon (step): Have we seen him before last night? I kind of loved him, and I love that there’s a stepper.
- Cyrus (animator): Personality-wise, and own-dance-style-wise, he’s my favorite. So genuine, so humble, such a positive attitude, etc. But I’m worried because it seems like he’s not great at picking up choreography (strategic camera work last night, much?), and I think he could be in over his head. Please surprise me, Cyrus!
So, in other words:
- Love: Eliana, Witney, Cole, Cyrus.
- Like: Alexa, George, Amber, Will, Audrey, Dareian, Brandon.
- Neutral: Tiffany, Matthew, Janelle, Janaya.
- Dislike: Nick, Lindsay, Daniel, Chehon.
- Hate: Amelia.
- Nellie: I’ve always loved her voice, and this week I love her. Thinking “Milkshake” is about an actual milkshake, finding her inner sexy and killing it in the video shoot, etc. To combine Leslie Knope quotes, she’s a “beautiful naive tropical fish.”
- Lily: How fast she’s grown on me! I think it’s because I’ve finally figured her out. The uber-competitive side worked to her advantage this week - I really liked that she challenged herself to be sexier than Aylin. And I think it paid off because she did a great job of being sexy but also subtle (and obviously subtlety is not Lily’s strength) in the video.
- Aylin: I’ve always liked her personality, but I noticed her voice this week (ironically). She’s kind of great. Just please don’t hook up with Charlie.
- Charlie: I’ve gone from loving him to hating him. I don’t care if he has ADHD or a mild form of autism or whatever - nothing excuses some of his behavior.
- Blake: I’ve been biased against him since the start (generic white guy who they want to make like Finn), but he’s also growing on me. I feel like he’s so much more than generic white boy, and I wish the producers would realize that.
- Abraham: I love the all-black hair, and I love him. He always stands out in group numbers to me. And his tears over Tyler leaving seemed real; perhaps if that friendship had been highlighted more I would like Tyler more.
- Michael: until this week and being in the bottom, I had not a second thought about it. Kinda forgot he existed.
- Mario: Still not into him at all. Join Tyler at home.
- Ali: neutral.
- Shanna: Still one of my favorites, and I loved how she responded to criticism - so maturely and positively and just taking it all in stride. But still thinking about it and how to make sure she incorporates it. (Also, at the end right before they find out who got eliminated, when she’s crying and kinda hides behind the pillow - that makes me think it wasn’t just TV Tears and it makes me like her even more.)
- Tyler: So freaking happy he’s gone. He irritates the living shit out of me. He’s a talented singer, for sure, but everything else about him is so damn annoying. And he really does just disappear in group numbers.
i am in full on depressionville after the trip but i come on tumblr and right away see a pll post & have a smoking gif & sometimes maybe your comments on this show make me wanna watch. also last night i watched a new ep of love in the wild..
OMG, I’d die of happiness if you started watching. Really. Give it 3-4 episodes and if you aren’t sucked in, you can give up. IMO, it’s not a “slow burn” kind of show that takes a season or two to grow on you - it takes a few episodes to get over the extreme ridiculousness/campiness/suspended reality, but then you start realizing how great it is despite all of that, and after awhile you start loving it because of all of that :)