Glee - “Choke” (3x18)
I think this was the best episode of Glee in awhile. There were some problems, certainly, but overall it was pretty (heartbreakingly) fantastic. I’m on a weird high because the show was so good and simultaneous depression because of what happened on it. Anyway, sorry if this is repetitive for some of you, but I need to get all the Glee feelings out. Stuff that was awesome:
- The opening sequence of Rachel’s self-pep talk voice-over.
- Sugar is back!
- Roz’s “placeholder names” for Santana, Sugar, Tina, Mercedes, and Brittany.
- "Black Sue" and "John Goodman."
- The entire exchange of insults/snark between Original Recipe Sue and Black Sue.
- The cell block tango was pretty great. I wish they’d done the whole thing.
- At the same time, I understand Roz’s point about domestic violence. I liked the overall message about DV, even if it was too PSA and forced down your throat (was going to say “heavy handed” but that sounded so wrong), as per Glee’s usual.
- REALLY LOVED that Bieste talked to Sue and Roz about her situation, and NOT the students. Thank God at least one teacher in this school knows where to draw the line - she waited until she got herself mentally sorted out, and then came to the students to inform and educate them. The way it should be if you’re going to be that open with your students.
- Mike coming to Blaine for hair gel tips.
- "Oh God, no. No more candles."
- Whoopi, I love you.
- Kurt’s audition wasn’t perfect, but I think that was half the point. Loved seeing the old Regionals costumes, and I loved seeing Kurt doing something that was so unabashedly his style. No toning down, no hiding, no pretending. Just going for it, and having it pay off. Chris Colfer was too cute with the dancing, too.
- I could listen to Rachel sing “Don’t Rain on My Parade” ALL DAY LONG. And when she choked, I practically choked with her.
- Santana, Mercedes, and Tina (with Brittany and Sugar) singing Florence + the Machine’s “Shake It Out” was beautiful. Really and truly just beautiful.
- Tina getting lines AND some singing parts?! Armageddon must be here.
- Rachel singing “Cry” was amazing. Heartbreaking perfect. Lea fucking killed it on that. Kelly Clarkson is, somewhat surprisingly (except not that much b/c this is not the first time she’s sung Kelly), the perfect pop/mainstream singer for Rachel’s voice.