Pretty Little Liars - “‘A’ Is For A-l-i-v-e” (4x1)
Loved this season premiere. I assume it means we’ll be seeing more of Mona, and I’m totally okay with that.
I guess Marlene meant it when she said this would be the season of answers. Things I learned in this episode:
- That there was a dead pig in the trunk. And, apparently, seeing (and/or killing) several actual dead humans doesn’t lessen the shock of a dead pig. Lol.
- That people walking down the street in don’t seem to notice a disgusting, muddy cop car with its lights whirring and five girls poking around in it and no cops in sight. Just another day in Rosewood.
- That Shawna knew Jenna from before Rosewood, they’re both afraid of Melissa, Mona thought CeCe was Ali when she came to Radley, Mona doesn’t know who killed Ian, etc. Basically, Mona’s saying a lot of stuff, but she is either holding back the most important stuff or doesn’t know it.
- That Mona has a copy of Emily’s keys. LMAO, of fucking course.
- That creepy detective dude is dead. Luckily for me.
- Mona and Hanna almost kissed on the train (even though Hanna didn’t know it was Mona). Aaaand the fandom goes wild.
- That as much as I like Emily, her “OMG” and “WTF” faces need work.
- That occasionally Spencer’s taste in clothing can veer into the mundane, regular realm – she apparently likes that J. Crew coat that the rest of the world does (including me).
- That the casting people aren’t great at finding mini-versions of the Liars. I mean, forget what their features look like, when mini-Aria is the tallest one, you know something is seriously wrong.
- That Emily’s mom has a fetish for gift baskets.
- That no matter what may come in the future, or what’s happened in the past, I’m convinced that a part of Mona does really love Hanna.
- That as amazing as Troian was when Spencer had a breakdown, it’s nice to see her glued back together. If Toby double-crosses her again, I swear to Lucifer…
- That Aria is self-involved and Emily is gracious (when they’re out in the courtyard at school). I mean, I knew that already, but it’s nice to see some things don’t change no matter how many dead bodies and pigs pile up.
- That the showerunners know exactly why Aria/Ezra is wrong, but don’t give a fuck. Because as poorly as the vice principal handled things in Aria’s daydream, everything he said is true. Ezra deserves to be in prison for sleeping with a child. And even if you buy the argument that Aria is old enough to give consent, he was still her teacher. The power dynamics there are hideously wrong.
- That as unbelievable as Shay can be in Emily’s OMG moments, she’s incredible in her quieter moments. Like the moment right before she says yes to Paige’s proposal that they move to California together. The way she looked at Paige, all the love and adoration and hesitancy and everything else coming out in one glance. Utter perfection.
- That as romantic as Paige’s proposal is, it’s not realistic. How many high school loves pan out? Yes, I know some do. But what are the chances theirs will? (Although, Paily does seem to be endgame, so who knows.) Plus, has Paige forgotten what town she lives in? You just don’t go around making plans for the next year in Rosewood when there’s a good chance you’ll catch on fire or get hit by a car tomorrow!
- That the Liars still dress as inappropriately and outlandishly as ever. Only Spencer seems to have remembered they’re going to a damn funeral. Put boobs, legs, and snake jewelry away, you other three.
- That Ashley is apparently A’s new target.
- That Toby turned down Ali once. Yikes. Boy should have realized right then and there that he was doomed for the rest of his life.
- That creepy detective man has been replaced by a possibly even more annoying detective dude.
- That Mona is now officially the fifth Liar because creepy, melty face mask person put her doll with the other four?